Periodic maintenance of the reel is the best way to keep the reel operating at its highest level at all times. Extending the life of the reel and helping to reduce repair costs when damaged due to lack of maintenance. or improper maintenance.
Do you have to oil fishing reels? Yes, you need to do it periodically. Oiling your reel is like changing your car’s oil. If you don’t, your reel’s parts will wear out very quickly. Causing them to operate heavily and possibly even breaking gears.You don’t want to have to buy a new reel right?
To learn more about this topic and how to properly oil your reel, I think you should check out my post below.
How often should you oil your fishing reels?
It is a bit difficult to say when to do this, because it is not easy to determine the right time to service the reel. Because it depends on the intensity of using each angler’s reel. But in general, the most appropriate time is probably the time when the reel feels suddenly less comfortable to use.
That’s when you see the reel spinning when it’s gritty inside, or there’s a crunching sound and it’s no longer quiet. However, there may also be cases that require maintenance of the fishing reel such as dropping the reel into the water, or dropping the reel into the sand, soil, etc.
At such times, maintenance of the reel is necessary. Because all you need to do is spend an hour with some grease, an old toothbrush, a little alcohol, and a few special marks for the reel and you’re good to go. You can refresh your reel like it was when you first opened the box.
How to oil and maintain fishing reels
You should dry the reel every time you go fishing, dry the fishing reel to help protect it from better wear. In some low-profile models. The reel’s airrotor is also designed in the form of an air-sink – heat dissipation inside the reel, helping thefishing reel dry quickly when used to avoid rust and abrasion.
I already have a more in-depth article on this. You can read more here: Will Fishing Reels Rust?
Here are the steps to oiling your reels
- Step 1: Removie the handle and the spool from spinning reel.
- Step 2: Start by dripping one drop of oil on this point of the handle knob, spin the handle knob to allow the oil to seep in.
- Then step 3: Drip one drop of the oil on this point of the shalf, spin the rotor to allow the oil to seep in.
- Step 4: Drip and drop oil on these two point on the bailarm, open and close the bailarm to allow the oil to seep in.
- Step 5: Drip and drop the oil in the gap of the line roller on both sides
- Then step 6: Drip one drop of oil on this bearing on the reel body.
- Step 7: Unwind the side cap on other end of the reel body
- Step 8: Drip one drop of oil on this bearing, spin rotor to allow oil to seep in.
- Finally Step 9: Reassemble your reel.
Hopefully with the above proper maintenance of fishing reels will help anglers protect their reels most effectively.
You already have the answer to the “Do you have to oil fishing reels?”. Remember, everything depends on your personal preferences; any reels are expensive or cheap, it will still be useless if you can’t master them.
I hope this article is helpful to you. Do you have another idea?