Abu Garcia is a company that manufactures and sells fishing equipment in Sweden. The company was later sold and is now owned by Pure Fishing of the United States.
And when it comes to Abu Garcia, we cannot ignore one of the most famous products of this company, used by most American anglers. It’s the Black Max baitcasting reel.
In this “Abu Garcia Black Max review” article, I will help those who want to learn about this reel. Hope my information and suggestions can help you make a choice whether to own it or not. Let’s start!
See more: Penn Battle 3 Review 2023
The Outstanding Features Of Abu Garcia Black Max Review
The Abu Garcia Black Max is a cheap and efficient baitcaster. To really get the comfort factor. The black max reel uses a bent handle and a bent star which get your hand closer to the reel, making it much more ergonomic and easy to fish with. In addition, it also uses its stainless steel bearing system in the Max family.
This uses a 4+1 stainless steel bearing system giving you smooth operation to help stop those large fish. We use our power disc drag design which provides you with a very soft, consistent drag pressure.
Again to help with the reel’s weight and make it much more ergonomic to fish with, Black Max uses a one-piece graphite frame and graphite side plates. The gear system in the Black Max is outdoor gear. Our brass gear system gives you a lot of durabilities and gives you years of operation out of the black max reels.
To help control the cast and give you smooth, consistent castability. They are also equipped with mag tracks braking design, and this gives you a very constant drag pressure throughout the cast.
[amazon box=”B011LV0Q96″ template=”horizontal”]
Top Features, Pros and Cons
Although it has been produced and born for a long time, the Abu Garcia Black Max is still updated and upgraded by the company to meet the requirements of anglers. Therefore, the new reel is always lighter and works smoother than the old reel of the same type.
With a durable, lightweight, corrosion-resistant material system. This reel has a pretty impressive MaxTrag brake system. Besides, the Power Disk drag system is rated as good for this type of reel at this price point.
The Black Max includes a Duragear brass gear set. It features a lightweight, reinforced graphite frame and a total of five bearings that support the action of this reel.
- Graphite Frame: Instead of the traditional heavy metal frame, the frame of Abu Garcia’s Black Max is made of graphite. The material is lightweight and made of one piece, so it won’t break or come apart as you use it.
- Five Bearing System: Abu Garcia upgraded their previous reel to include more bearings to support the smooth operation of this reel. This baitcaster has a stainless steel ball bearing and a roller.
- Strong Spool: The spool is made of a special type of aluminum. This metal has been machine pressed to give its parts high precision and enhance their performance. The metal has also been treated with anodizing technology, so it will be more resistant to corrosion.
- Light Materials: Opt for graphite body and side plates for this reel. Additionally, the aluminum spool is built to be lighter than you’d expect. The overall weight of this reel is about 7.5 ounces.
- High-Quality Metal Gear: Black Max gears are made of high quality metal. Thanks to that, they can work well in saltwater environments. They also have a robust and reliable Duragear mechanic.
- Magnetic Brake System: The latest version of the Max Series from Abu Garcia has been carefully designed to include MagTrax brakes. This brake system is a high performance unit that will help any angler stay in control of the performance of their reel.
- Remarkable Design of Handle: The handle on this reel has a modern design and it is also easier to use. The traditional single handle is a problem when you have to fight a large fish. The double-sided handle will also make it easier to set your hook.
- Rugged lightweight graphite frame
- MagTrax magnetic brake system makes casting easier.
- The comfortable grip of the handle of this reel makes it easier to hold
- This reel has a rigid aluminum spool that makes it durable in a variety of weather conditions.
- Brass rotary gear reduces difficulty during reeling
- The handle has two ends, so it’s easier to set the hook.
- Cheap, good brand. They are really worth it
- It will be a bit harder to get used to the reel and drag system if you are new
- Of course, keep them clean or they will make noise. Can’t ask for too much from such a cheap baitcaster reel.
Questions & Answers
What line should I put on that? Braid? Mono? What pound test? – I suggest you put about 10lb-17lb mono and 30-50lb braid.
Hello I just bought a right handed Abu Garcia black max reel is it possible to make this a left handed so I can retrieve with my left hand thank you so much – you cannot change the side the handle of your baitcaster is on you have to buy the correct hand.
Wondering if the drag system is strong enough for a winter steelhead rod? – It will handle I’ve caught kings on it.
Do you know if you can use this reel in saltwater? – Of course, you can absolutely use it in saltwater environments. But remember to clean after each trip.
Have you made your decision yet? You need to consider your own needs with what it can meet. The quality that this reel delivers is much higher than its cost. A trusted brand and an affordable price on a budget. If you are a beginner in fishing and familiar with Baitcaster, I think this is the first reel you should get.
Trust me, it will be a great experience! Hopefully the article “Abu Garcia Black Max Review” has helped you answer your questions and make the best choice for you. See you in the next posts!